TOBACCO’s instant party classic debut album F***ed Up Friends gets the Hood Internet treatment here, they basically took bits and pieces of seven of the album’s tracks and turned them into a seamless mix. Also, TOBACCO serves up another great music video – this time highlighting the joys of women blowing bubbles with chewing gum and Max Headroom. TOBACCO launches a limited string of shows tonight in Chicago at Bottom Lounge with WHY?
Here’s the complete track list for Tobacco’s mixtape available exclusively through XLR8R:
1. brother russell “alive and well” from melba comes alive! 00:00
2. lone “phthalo blue” excerpt from lemurian 02:08
3. alias feat. WHY? “well water black (tobacco remix) unreleased 03:17
4. the lava children “i am a pony” unreleased 05:54
5. ruth white “owls” from flowers of evil 08:24
6. john trubee prank call 11:06
7. beck “mexico” from don’t get bent out of shape 12:09
8. allegheny white fish “backwards song #2” from ep96 17:26
9. “introducing linda loveface” from the deep throat soundtrack 18:02
10. boards of canada unknown song 20:03
11. butthole surfers “pittsburgh to lebanon” from locust abortion technician 21:11
12. ivanhoe “humphrey’s farewell to ebm7” from days and knights 23:27
13. longmont potion castle “helium socket” from volume 5 27:13
14. freescha “moving” from head warlock double stare 29:06
15. dreamend “are you waking” from the long forgotten friend 33:55
16. butthole surfers “kuntz” from locust abortion technician 36:54
17. black moth super rainbow “milk skates” from drippers ep 39:09
18. height “hanging out late all alone” from winterize the game 40:36
19. boom box 2000 “girls we like” from s/t 43:33
20. silke f. “dancing with a ghost” from n/a 46:51
21. lansing-dreiden “spectrum of vapor” from a sectioned beam 49:50
22. the seven fields of aphelion “grown” from periphery (coming 2009) 54:30
23. tiny tim “strawberry tea” from god bless tiny tim 60:06
On F***ed Up Friends, his first solo album, TOBACCO explores a darker, starker and altogether more badass dimension of his complex vision. With his group Black Moth Super Rainbow, Tobacco distinguished himself as a master of jagged beats, glowing melodies and pronounced tension. This time, he works alone, in rural Pennsylvania, away from conventions and interference.
As always, TOBACCO recorded F***ed Up Friends using analog synths and tape machines, which gives his work a timeless distance from digital pop music at large. His tracks evoke sonar, mellotrons and deteriorating cassette tapes. His windshield-rattling beats thump hard against their technological limitations. His hooks emerge from thick ponds of distortion, which heightens their hypnotic power. His music is equally cosmopolitan and self-contained, the soundtrack for an imaginary underwater cop show, a welcome stranger anywhere in time and space.
Much of F***ed Up Friends is instrumental. Sometimes, electronically mutilated vocals do emerge. The lyrics are never “about,” but always “of.” They don’t clarify. They only make the mystery that much more enticing.
TOBACCO creates unique, compelling pop from the power and constrictions of his available technology. He makes music that is at once buoyant, danceable and unmistakably eerie. He plays “lo-fi” music for high yields, and he gives his simplest constructions a powerful dramatic sweep. He makes music with suave passion, burning vitality and cinematic depth. And he never stops searching for the perfect beat.
At times, such as on the sunny celebration “Hairy Candy,” F***ed Up Friends recalls BMSR’s woozy daydreams. But, taken as a whole, it’s a much more sinister affair. This album is anxiously driven, effortlessly smooth, and unapologetically uncanny. These tracks will stick in your head like a crooked get-rich-quick scheme. “Hawker Boat” and “Dirt (featuring Aesop Rock)” strain stadium-rock grandeur through a dirty filter and serve it with rocks and salt. “Side 8 (Big Gums Version),” “Backwoods Altar” and “Get My Nails Did” slowly expose a deep menace beneath their enticing rhythms.
F***ed Up Friends defies all expectations, rocks the boombox, and casts a menacing, irresistible spell. It bleeds under a blacklight. It knows where you live.
09/26 Chicago, IL Bottom Lounge *
09/27 Minneapolis, MN Triple Rock *
10/03 Purchase, NY SUNY Purchase
10/21 – 10/24 New York, NY CMJ
F***ed Up Friends
Street date: Oct. 14, 2008
01 Street Trash
02 Truck Sweat
03 Hairy Candy
04 Hawker Boat
05 Side 8 (Big Gums
06 Yum Yum Cult
07 Berries That Burn
08 Get My Nails Did
09 Dirt (Featuring Aesop Rock)
10 Gross Magik
11 Little Pink Riding Hood
12 Backwoods Altar
14 Tape Eater
15 Pink Goo
16 Grease Wizard
Press materials: www.anticon.com/pr/tobacco.htm